Sentimental Items & The Beauty of Letting Go

The trees are about to show us the beauty of letting go.


I read this on Pinterest and I thought to myself, "Yes, it is beautiful to let things go."  But while it may be beautiful for me, many of you may not feel the same way.

I know this to be true because in my Facebook Group, Confidently Conquer Your Clutter, we've discussed how letting go, especially of sentimental items is difficult.

For some, it's because they feel like they are letting go of a memory.  For others, they feel like they are letting go of the person that reminds them of the item.  And then there are those of you, who have been given a gift, don't particularly love the gift but don't let it go because a loved one gave it to you.

So what are you to do?  In my experience, when I've wanted to let something go that had a memory attached to it, I've looked at what I would gain by letting go.  And at this point you may be thinking, GAINED?  What they heck is she talking about?

Let me give you an example.  


The picture you see above is of one of my most beloved childhood memories.  In fact, it's a memory that is particularly close to my heart because my dad was still alive.  (For those of you who don't know, I lost my dad to cancer when I was 6 years old.)

Anyway, I remember that on a few occasions, probably on a weekend, my mom making doughnuts in this thing - with my dad helping.  Those doughnuts were the best tasting I ever had.  (Which is probably where I developed my affinity for doughnuts - WOW, insight!)

I found this box complete with the doughnut maker when I was clearing out my mom's house (she's now living better than I am in a swanky retirement community).  The minute I found this box I remembered those wonderful mornings with my parents.

Then I knew I had to decide.  Would I take this into my home and make doughnuts?  Possibly creating new memories?  Nope.  I knew I would never make doughnuts with this.  It's just not something I would ever do.  It's too much work when I can go to Rise & Roll and buy a box of "Amish crack."  (If you live locally, you are welcome).

I put it into the donate box.  I knew that by donating it, I would be gaining space.  I knew that by donating it, I wouldn't be thinking to myself I should really make some doughnuts with this thing and then not making them and feeling guilty.  That's what I gained.  Peace of mind.

You notice that I have a picture of the box, right?  I snapped that with Evernote.  (I can tell you more about this wonderful app if you want).  When I was writing this post, I pulled up the photo and immediately, the memories came flooding back to me.  With just a photo of the box.

If you are struggling to let a sentimental item go, here are my suggestions.

  1. Take a picture.  If that is not enough, keep a notebook with you to write down your memories.  
  2. If you get stuck, think about what you will be giving up to keep the item.  (Space, peace of mind, etc.)
  3. Think about what you will gain by letting it go.  (Space, peace of mind - it works both ways.)


What do you think?  Will you try this?  Will you let me know how it goes?

I'm always here to talk if you need some more strategies.  I love working with people to help them get a clear, confident course of action planned out.

In Joy & Confidence,

Wendy
Simply Organized







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Change is uncomfortable - but gorgeous at the end.

Are you your own worst enemy?   Learn how to identify and overcome self sabotage during the Ask the Organizer-Coach Q & A Call on Wednesday, March 28th